Friday, February 17, 2012

What I'm thinking

This is going to be a hard blog to write.  I'd much rather hide behind my photography, but it's probably important that I tell you where I'm coming from with it, what I'm trying to say, and what I'm thinking when I'm taking photos.  What I'm thinking is ...Nothing.  That's right - Nothing. 

When I'm taking photos, I'm not even smart enough to stay out of the road.  I have to have a handler to make sure I don't fall off a cliff, or walk into traffic.  What I FEEL is an overwhelming need to TAKE THAT PHOTOGRAPH.  Because it's perfect.  Not necessarily pretty, or beautiful - but perfect.

I take alot of photos without thinking much.  Sometimes all I hear in my head is "Light Good" or "Need to get higher" or "wrong film :(".  The thinking comes in when I'm looking at the prints after they are developed.  THEN I can start thinking.  And I throw away a lot.  The thinking comes in when I decide what I want to show people.  What the world needs to see.  Because sometimes I have to take 20 shots of something slightly differently to capture the Perfect.  And sometimes I get them back and say to myself "Well, that was a complete waste of walking in traffic."


I really don't want to come across as one of those stereotypical Artists So Impressed With Themselves That They Think Everything They Do Has Deeper Meaning.  That's not it for me at all.  I know I'm pretty smart.  And I think (and enough people agree with me that I might possibly be right) that my art is pretty cool.  But rainbows don't shoot out my ass.  My political opinions don't carry any more weight than anyone else.  I don't have the answers to all the worlds problems.

I'm just trying to say "This is a Drum".  See the hand marks?  The nicks in the frame?  The color differences on the head?  That's what I mean by Drum.  I'm just trying to get at the metaphysical construct of Drum.  Or Green.  Or Fire.

So - Have a Drum.

No comments:

Post a Comment