Sunday, February 19, 2012

Instinct

Some of my favorite (and I think my best work) comes about with no planning, or setting up, or thinking at all.  It's like my camera is a direct conduit to the back of my brain.  I see the shot.  I take the shot.

This is one of them.  I didn't have any time to think about this shot when I took it.  I didn't think about the light, or the angle, or the background, or anything.  I operated purely on instinct - which is what I try to do.  No over-analysis.  Less than 5 seconds total.

This photo was taken a few years ago at a local medieval historical re-enactment "war".  These guys had just come off the fighting field, and were marching to their regrouping point for the next battle.  The dents and marks on their shields are caused by being repeatedly hit with weapons made out of bamboo and tape.  I really respect these guys for the work they put into their armor making it look real.  They also walked like you would expect Roman soldiers to walk - confident and bold, even after a tiring and bruising battle.

No comments:

Post a Comment