Sunday, April 8, 2012

My Gator Badge


One of my goals for my visit to Sarasota, Florida was to get a close picture of an alligator.  Since I don't have a GREAT zoom lens, this means I had to get pretty close for the alligator not to look like a log with bumps!  Fortunately, I was able to visit Myaka State Park - which has LOTS of them. 

For the gator picture above, I was able to get about 20 ft. away with the help of a berm dam between the Upper and Lower Myaka Lake, and a helpful park ranger, who kept me from getting eaten (another major goal).



Most of the other gator pictures I got there make the gators look like logs.  The funniest picture I got (in a macabre sort of way_, is the one above, with two gators in the foreground, and a fisherman in waders in the background.  Apparently, the gators and fishermen have a kind of truce going.  Maybe it's because this was the middle of the day, and the gators like to eat at night or something.  I would still think you'd have to be a pretty alert fisherman though!

They also had lots of other great wildlife, which I will be posting later.  I got SO MANY great photos during this trip, that I am going to break them up by subject matter - Non Gator Wildlife, Mangroves, Beach, and Drum Circle. 

As a final "plus" to my Myaka trip, they had gator badges in the gift shop.  I'll be putting this on my camera case - along with badges for any other apex predators I happen to photograph in the wild.  Zoos don't count :)


No comments:

Post a Comment