Thursday, April 12, 2012

Kayaking in the Mangroves


So - I mentioned I went kayaking in the Mangroves near Sarasota, FL?  Ya - totally cool..

Went in a tandem kayak with my Dad, and my mom in a separate kayak.  I got the front seat, put my camera in a ziplock when we started moving, and took some great photos.  Lots of birds (herons, egrets and cormorants mostly) and some great views. While we were in the mangroves, we were in less than two feet of water.  The bay got a little deeper, but was still fairly shallow.  The kayaks were not like the ones you see for white water.  They were almost as open as a canoe.









 Yes - this is a very small crab!







 The cormorants hung around the boats when we got out in the bay, apparently the paddling stirs up the fish, and they have a great time diving around the boats.  The kayakers have a great time trying not to wackamole the birds.

No comments:

Post a Comment